Sunday, August 18, 2013

Mississippi Kite

The time nears when the Mississippi Kites will be heading for South America. They depart in late August through late September. A few days ago, my wife and I saw a flock of 2 or 3 dozen Kites circling over a spot in town. We can only presume they are getting their flight plans in order in preparation for their migration. ;)

I don't see them as much hanging around trees in our neighborhood, but today I saw a couple soaring overhead. This one was hanging out in one of the usual trees. I have no idea if it is one of the family that occupied our tree or not. I don't think it's the little one, because I wouldn't expect him to have full adult plumage this soon - but I could be wrong.

(Mississippi Kite)

5 comments:

  1. Dale - thank you for the info. We live on Falcon Rd in SW Amarillo and have 6 that we observed tonight. Typically we have 2 pair that have graciously kept our doves to minimum - but this is the first time we have seen that many and in this particular tree. I think we had googled ourselves into the Mississippi Kite - but your picture has proven it! Very Cool bird!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know of any tracking of the kites? I can find osprey but no kites. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't, but I've honestly never thought about it. I'll have to see what I can find out. :)

      Delete
  3. I live on Alpine, pretty close to Falcon in sw Amarillo as well. Last summer the kites took to resting on the power lines in my alley. I think I saw 6 at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. Enjoy watching them if they return to your area this year. They may nest nearby.

      Delete