Monday, December 26, 2011

Blue Jays

For a long time, I've been trying to get shots of blue jays, cardinals, etc. in our back yard. My wife had a new feeder waiting for me under the Christmas tree this year - one that she found on www.etsy.com. Made of cedar, it had a much better perch than my previous one had - one that I hoped would allow larger birds than mainly sparrows and house finches to feed.

I set it up yesterday while our white Christmas was still in the making. There was no activity at the feeder until this morning. I watched and waited.  At first only sparrows and finches showed up. After a little while my patience was rewarded, and jays finally made an appearance.  They easily helped themselves to their favorites in the mix I had waiting for them.

 The male first came in to test the waters.

 His mate followed shortly thereafter.

I will anxiously be awaiting more opportunities. I'll have to increase the sunflower seed content of the mix.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment